I tackle this task as I do all other large ones…I break it up into smaller components.First, STOP the flow of paper. Today! Immediately! Here’s how;
1. Apply to receive all bills electronically.
2. Sign up for electronic bank statements.
3. Switch your newspaper and magazine subscriptions to digital format.
4.Send electronic faxes . Here are some options.
5. Download books on an ipad or e-reader rather than buying paper copies.
If you really want to have the feel of a book (I often do) visit your local library or
borrow from friends.
6 . Obtain manuals of purchased products in PDF format from the internet.
7 . Ask for a digital receipt after a purchase versus a paper one.
8. Use Dropbox to share documents.
9. Evernote is a great way to take notes.
You can eliminate post its as well as legal pads.
( I still use colored post its occasionally …love them!)
10. Rather than print emails save them as PDFs.
Once the flow of new paper has been dealt with it is time to tackle your filing cabinet.
I guarantee you that 75% of the paper in those files can be shredded, recycled or scanned and filed digitally.
As you sort and purge your files, place them in the appropriate piles (shred, scan, recycle and keep).
Once you have scanned the documents that you want to keep pick a system, learn it thoroughly and use it exclusively.
I like Evernote as it is versatile and easy to use.
Now sit back and enjoy the clean look of your uncluttered desk.